GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — A private university located in Grand Rapids Michigan, Davenport University seeks a head water polo coach. A National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division II institution, the school sponsors 20-plus varsity athletic programs and is a member of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (GLIAC). In addition, Davenport University offers an array of non-varsity sports at the institution.
All applicants should apply at: Job Posting
- Plan, organize, and continue developing the on-going athletic program and activities of the team.
- Understand and abide by universal standards of confidentiality and ethical decision-making.
- Provide instruction to student athletes regarding relevant skill development, a focus on great teamwork, and their own character development.
- Responsible for providing leadership to the team including budgeting, scheduling, and organizing travel arrangements.
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate the performance of assistant coaches.
- Responsible for the recruitment of academically and athletically qualified student/athletes for the program.
- Responsible to ensure all of the coaching staff and athletes are compliant with national affiliation rules.
- Reports any known violations or concerns to administration.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of and compliance with applicable national affiliations, conference, university and departmental rules and regulations within the sports program.
- Monitor the academic performance, academic progress and social development of student-athletes and make referrals to the appropriate resources.
- Promote the academic progress and graduation of student-athletes, including assisting with enforcement of the mandatory study program.
- Ensure all members of the team abide by the student–athlete handbook.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of the athletic department.
- Monitor student academic performance and social development and make referrals to appropriate resources.
- Responsible for the organization of university camps and clinics related to the team.
- Responsible for assisting in maintenance and upkeep of the field/complex.
- Assist Athletic Department in athletic issues as needed.
- Abide by the rules and regulations of the league in which you will be competing.
- Understand and abide by all external and internal regulations and policies. This includes NCAA, GLIAC and national affiliations associated within athletics or other role specific regulations.
- Provides GREAT customer service, anticipating and exceeding the needs of our customers.
- Demonstrate and promote the University Cultural Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- A strong commitment to the Student-Athlete concept and a working knowledge of national affiliation rules and regulations is required.
- Three to five years collegiate coaching experience including effective leadership, communication, coaching and recruiting skills is preferred.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Strong service-oriented skills and the ability to have an exceptional customer service attitude at all times.
- Must be able to work and relate well with the public, students, faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and effectively with computerized data systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, both written and oral which transcend diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and relate well to students, parents, faculty, staff, and others while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the University.
- Ability to perform under stressful situations. Must be able to travel (schedule could include day, evening and/or weekend availability).
- May be some heavy lifting involved.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, evenings or Saturday as needed, additional hours during peak times or as required.