ROCK ISLAND, Ill. — Augustana College, a private, selective, residential college of the liberal arts and sciences with enrollment of 2,600 students, seeks a full-time, head men’s and women’s varsity water polo head coach to start programs for the Fall of 2021.
Augusanta’s beautiful residential 115-acre campus is located in Rock Island, Illinois, part of the Quad Cities metropolitan area along the Mississippi River, 165 miles west of Chicago. Augustana awards the Bachelor of Arts in about 90 majors and related academic programs.
The college is seeking a full time head men’s and women’s water polo coach to lead the start-up and future development of all phases of the program. Water Polo will join the other 26 varsity sports currently offered at Augustana College. The Water Polo teams will practice and compete in the newly built Lindberg Center. More information about this construction project is available here: https://www.augustana.edu/about-us/buildings-and-facilities/lindberg
Competing in the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW), about 1/3 of the Augustana student population competes in one of 26 varsity sports. When it comes to Academic All-America selections, Augustana is #1 in our conference and #7 in all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) divisions, a testament to our commitment to success in the classroom as well as the playing field.
Reports To: Athletic Director
Overview: Is responsible for the overall management of the College’s men’s and women’s water polo programs including coaching, recruitment and retention of student-athletes, scheduling and budget management, equipment ordering, viable fundraising, public relations and other duties as assigned.
Status: Full-time position. Works on an academic year schedule.
Supervises: Part-time coaching assistant(s) and student workers
- Responsible for creating an overall positive and successful environment for the student-athletes of the men’s and women’s water polo teams. Provide oversight and evaluation of the daily progress of the team including strength training, conditioning, and student-athlete academic, personal and athletic development.
- Plan, conduct and evaluate practice activities for men’s and women’s water polo team members. Provide group and individual assistance in a manner that engages the athletes and builds commitment to the program.
- Work collaboratively with other members of the Augustana staff to integrate efforts and create program success. Assist other staff members with activities as needed to reach the overall goals of the Augustana athletic department.
- Meet with prospective students and their family members both on campus and at remote locations as possible. Provide advice and counsel on the admissions process, the Augustana experience and the integral role of the student-athlete in overall campus life.
- Hire and oversee part-time coaching assistants and student workers as needed to assist with the program and competition-related activities. Provide feedback?both positive and negative?on work products and outcomes.
- Order equipment and supplies and manage operating budget for the program.
- Complete auxiliary assignments including teaching physical education activity classes during the academic year.
- Actively participate in department and college-wide meetings and events, and adapt work as required to meet overall campus goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred.
- Three or more years of previous coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level.
- A demonstrated understanding of the NCAA Division III environment, requirements, and accountability, with previous coaching or playing experience in a similar setting highly preferred.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to relate to a diverse group of students, athletes, coaches and campus community members.
- Strong prioritization and organizational skills.
- Must have a thorough understanding of and accountability to NCAA and CCIW rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated strong commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student-athlete.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to lift 50 pounds on a frequent basis. Also required is the ability to listen, hear, speak, climb stairs, bend, stoop, and stand for intermittently long periods of time. Exposure to outside weather and extreme temperatures is occasionally required. Long work days, particularly during the recruiting and competition season on a frequent basis.
Successful candidates must pass a criminal background check and have a valid drivers’ license with the ability to be insured by the college.
Interested applicants must submit no later than May 1, 2020:
- Cover letter including salary requirements
- One page statement of personal coaching philosophy
- Email addresses for three references