ERIE, Pa. — Mercyhurst University, located in Erie, Pa., seeks a full-time head men’s and women’s water polo coach. The position reports to the Assistant Vice President for Athletics.
- Direct and coordinate the planning, organizing, and coaching of the Mercyhurst University NCAA Division II men’s and women’s water polo programs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advanced knowledge of men’s and women’s water polo that has been acquired by significant experience coaching or playing in a post-secondary environment of commensurate experience
- Actively recruit and retain to maintain appropriate roster size for men’s and women’s water polo as determined by the Assistant Vice President of
- Promote academic excellence, integrity, and graduation. Monitor academic progress, academic meetings, class scheduling and attendance.
- Provide a framework for student-athletes to perform to their highest potential by teaching and developing skill levels and game strategies for all team members during practice sessions in preparation for their use during intercollegiate competition while utilizing proper judgment in the instruction and expectations and operate with the highest possible safety standards
- Teach and set expectations of appropriate team conduct during competition, travel, practice, and University events, and at any other times when the team is representing the Consult and collaborate with university administration and faculty for resolutions as required.
- Develop teams which are competitive within the conference, region and nationally by maximizing the student-athletes’ talents while also teaching and promoting teamwork.
- Oversees all men’s and women’s water polo administrative responsibilities, including but not limited to personnel functions, budgetary planning, purchasing, monitor expenses, reconcile expenditures, scheduling, travel plans, and equipment
- Direct and coordinate the activities of the men’s and women’s water polo staff to include mentoring of planning, game preparation, organizing and coaching of the Mercyhurst University men’s and women’s water polo teams; Cultivate continuing educational experiences for all staff
- Provide guidance to student-athletes through teaching life skills and social responsibility to improve their physical, intellectual, and social Provide support directly to student-athletes and create a network within the team and through the usage of other campus support entities.
- Create an environment through instruction and modeling for student-athletes to observe and learn integrity, camaraderie, and respect to provide a positive environment for all student athletes.
- Promote an active environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion for the student athletes and staff.
- Serve as a resource to student-athletes navigating the balance of academic and athletic demands
- Collaborate and contribute to the goals of the university and athletic This includes but is not limited to the following areas: academics, wellness, athletic training, strength and conditioning, finance, game operations, athletics communications, marketing, alumni relations, and fundraising.
- Be actively involved and knowledgeable with compliance in University, WWPA Conference, and NCAA policies and
- Represent the Mercyhurst University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity and alumni
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred); Previous college coaching experience required.
- Knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Strong administrative and organizational
- Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written
- Leadership skills with energy, insight, enthusiasm, and strong work
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to evaluate physical performance related to the men’s and women’s water polo
- Excellent written and oral communication skills Ability to effectively communicate both within and outside the University including, but not limited to, student athletes, parents, recruits, coaches, civic and business leaders.
- Ability to provide effective leadership to student athletes to encourage both successful academic development, personal life, and competitive
- Must possess the physical skills necessary to demonstrate water polo
- Position involves both inside sedentary work and active work in coaching and training situations with student
- Lifting of water polo equipment may be required.
- Must have current driver’s licensure for transportation of the team in vans
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Must have current certification in first aid and CPR
- Subject to a criminal background check prior to
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled or until date indicated above. Send cover letter, resume and three (3) work-related references to:
Human Resources Mercyhurst University 501 East 38th Street Erie, PA 16546
Mercyhurst University values diversity and is committed to the goal of achieving equal opportunity for all. For that reason, Mercyhurst abides by federal, state and local law in admissions, employment and all services and programs provided.
Mercyhurst does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, citizenship status, ancestry, national or ethnic origin, age, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic or because of any individual’s legally protected activities.
Mercyhurst complies with federal, state and local legislation and regulations regarding nondiscrimination. This policy applies to faculty, administration and staff, applicants for employment, students and applicants for educational programs and activities.
Candidates must be currently eligible to work in the United States.