LA JOLLA, Calif. — The University of California-San Diego seeks an assistant men’s water polo coach. This is a 100% contract position for one-year with the possibility of extending or conversion to career status.
Job Description: The University of California San Diego is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Assistant Men’s Water Polo Coach. UC San Diego, located in La Jolla, in the San Diego Metropolitan area, enrolls over 35,000 students, earned recognition as one of the world’s premier research universities, and is ranked as one of the top-10 public universities in the nation.
UC San Diego Athletics has a proud tradition of academic and athletic excellence, sponsors 23 varsity sports, and is reclassifying to NCAA Division I as a member of the Big West Conference. Triton Athletics consistently ranks as one of the most successful athletic programs, ranking among the top 7 nationally in the Learfield Director’s Cup on 13 different occasions and has finished second overall three times.
The Assistant Coach must have a commitment to the mission of the UC San Diego distance program, to maximize the athletic, interpersonal, and academic potential of our scholar-athletes by helping them to leave the comfort of previous experiences in the pursuit of new areas of growth, while being mindful of their impact on those around them, in order to become the optimal version of themselves.
The applicant will assist the Head Men’s Water Polo Coach in all of the following: recruiting prospective scholar-athletes, organizing and conducting practices, scouting opponents, designing training programs, utilizing social media platforms, and organizing competitive, social, and fundraising events. They will also assist with administrative responsibilities, including scheduling, budgeting, inventory, the coordination of team, professional & recruit travel, and team equipment purchases. The applicant should have successful recruiting experience with student-athletes that are at a high-academic and high-athletic level and have the ability to evaluate the skills, abilities, character and potential of prospective student-athletes to be successful within the athletics program and at UC San Diego.
The incumbent is responsible for conducting all activities in compliance with NCAA, Big West and UC San Diego rules and regulations.
Triton Athletics promotes the pursuit of excellence, strength of character, teamwork, ethical conduct, and diversity, and is inextricably linked to the educational mission of the University.
A complete application will include an online resume and cover letter.
- A Bachelor’s Degree; or an equivalent combination of education and experience to demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in both academics and athletics, as well as to understand the needs of students balancing the requirements of academics and athletics.
- Recruiting experience with student-athletes that are at a high-academic and high-athletic level.
- Demonstrated ability to teach specified sport to individuals and the team as a whole.
- Ability to follow work schedule as outlined by Head Coach and department.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of sound principles and rules governing specified sport. Personal experience with specified sport.
- Proven ability to use all athletic equipment and computer software programs needed to perform job duties.
- Strong writing skills to prepare clearly understandable correspondence and reports.
- Good interpersonal skills, including tact, diplomacy, and flexibility.
- Outstanding leadership, management, and interpersonal skills to relate to a wide diversity of faculty, staff, students and community members.
- Ability to speak before large and small groups with evident poise and enthusiasm and ability to effectively motivate team members.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with ability to follow up and review, to insure that no details are overlooked and that all arrangements have been made.
- A background check is required, a valid driver’s license is required. Must also participate in the DMV Pull program and maintain a clean DMV record.
- Must maintain NCAA certified recruiter status. Must maintain CPR/AED and First Aid certification.
- This position is a mandated reporter of known or suspected child abuse or neglect, according to the California law, Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA).
- This position is a campus security authority (CSA) for the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, which is a federal law requiring disclosure of information about crimes on and around campus.
- Work schedule will be arranged with Head Coach, but often includes evenings, weekends and holidays.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html
Hiring Salary Range: $35,000 per year
Appointment Type: Contract
Work Schedule: Variable day and hours; Often includes evenings, weekends and holidays
Application Deadline: June 3, 2022
To apply, CLICK HERE.