BRIDGEPORT, Pa. — The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) released updates on the format of the 2023 NCAA Men’s Water Polo Championship set for Friday-Sunday, December 1-3, at the University of Southern California’s Uytengsu Aquatics Center in Los Angeles, Calif.
• Bracket Expansion: The NCAA Division I Competition Oversight Committee approved the expansion of the men’s water polo bracket to nine teams, effective for the 2023 championship. Seven conferences will be granted qualification and two teams will be selected at large. The new format will have eight teams playing in the quarterfinals Friday, December 1. The four advancing teams will play in the semifinals Saturday, Dec. 2, and the championship game will take place Sunday, December 3.
• Pre-championship Manual: The 2023-24 pre-championship manual is available below. The manual contains policies and procedures governing the administration of the championship.
• Selection Announcement: The selections for the 2023 National Collegiate Men’s Water Polo Championship will take place Sunday, Nov. 19, and be available on www.ncaa.com.
• The Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference recently decided to withdraw its automatic qualification into the 2023 National Collegiate Men’s Water Polo Championship. As such, there will now only be six conferences that will receive an AQ and two at-large selections.
• Opening-round bids: As there will NOT be any opening-round games this year, no opening-round bids will be accepted