ALLENDALE, Mich. — Grand Valley State University seeks a men’s collegiate club head coach for the institution’s men’s water polo team.
The Head Coach is responsible for the supervision, planning, and organization of all practices, execution of in-game leadership and strategy, as well as providing mentorship of student-athletes. The Head Coach is expected to travel to all home and away competitions. This position will work closely with the team’s Executive Board members and Recreation & Wellness personnel. This position is part-time with an annual stipend of $5,000, with transportation and lodging for away events provided by the team. The season is typically September through October.
The GVSU Men’s Water Polo program is a member of the Great Lakes Division of the Collegiate Water Polo Association (CWPA). The program made 10 straight National Tournament appearances between 2007-2017, making 6 Final Four appearances, finishing runner-up in 2012 and 2013, and winning a National Championship in 2011. The club has 250 wins over the last decade. This position is part time and not eligible for benefits.
Required Qualifications and Education:
- Minimum of 2 years of coaching experience at high school level
- Experience coaching or competing at collegiate or semi-professional level
- Strong leadership, management, and communication skills
- Ability to put together comprehensive skill development plan and run a proper practice
- Proper organizational skills
- Reliable source of transportation
Preferred Qualifications and Education:
- Knowledge about the CWPA and its policies and procedures
- Has American Water Polo Level II coaching certification
- Strong ties and connections to the local and regional Water Polo community
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and endorse student-athletes to join the program
Responsibilities – Essential Functions:
- Plan, develop, and facilitate practices and training.
- Provide in-game strategy and leadership to the team during competitions.
- Work with club’s E-board to coordinate all competitions with opposing institutions and organizations.
- Serve as an advisor to help organize team’s budget/expenses, ensuring sound accounting practices.
- Effectively communicate with conference, opposing schools, GVSU Recreation & Wellness staff, and the club’s student-athletes and E-board.
- Oversee the hiring and supervision of all assistant/volunteer coaches (if any).
- Facilitate a program that reflects the mission, vision, and values of the department of Recreation & Wellness and ensures compliance with Club Sport policies and procedures.
- Have strong understanding and comply with all CWPA policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Provide representation for the team at all required CWPA meetings.
Salary: $5,000 annual stipend
Department/Division: Recreation & Wellness/Student Affairs
How To Apply: Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select “Apply now”. Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail address for three professional references. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to submit official transcripts prior to the interview. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215, or Associate Director, Mike Przydzial at 616-331-3212 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Deadline: Consideration of applications will begin immediately and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.